This delicious warming soup is an ideal lunch recipe or you could make it as a dinner party starter. It’s ready in just 20 minutes and can be frozen. I like to make it when I have some leftover Stilton. I have served this soup to friends who don’t like blue cheese normally; it’s mild and creamy and you will want a second helping.
- 1 large head of broccoli - florets and stalks cut into small pieces
- 400ml wheat free and gluten free vegetable or chicken stock
- 25g butter
- 2 sticks of celery - chopped
- 1 onion - diced
- 50g Stilton - crumbled
- 100ml double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Some freshly chopped parsley to serve
Place the broccoli pieces into a saucepan and pour over the vegetable/chicken stock. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan until hot and add the butter. Add the onion and celery and cook for 1 minute. In a food processor, place the broccoli and all the liquid, onions, celery, spring onions, Stilton, salt and pepper and cream and blend until smooth. If you don’t have a food processor a hand blender will suffice.
Heat through in a pan and serve with a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg and some freshly chopped parsley. Warm through wheat and gluten free rolls and serve alongside.